November 6, 2008

Diane Hornibroski Wanted

Photobucket
Have you ever felt that there is no place in the garden to plant something new?
I did for last couple of months - this made me feel.... mmm... limited... - sounds familiar?
Do you know that's not truth? There is alway space for something cute to plant. On th little patch many plants will still fit :) This is what I decided will be my motto after seeing that little, cute erica in the shop. Can you see the little flowers growing around the stem - they look like painted circles.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I found little patch for 3 new erica by getting rid of another piece of lawn. This time I chose a place close to the pond, so I can see little flowers entire november directly from the livingroom window.
This is most sunny and hottest spot entire year round, which is not best for watergarden, but at the time of choosing the location my awareness of that fact was non existent. It will get better with the time - after trees and shrubberies will mature.
If you have closer look at the edge of the border, you see the logs. Earlier this year cherry tree needed some pruning - and this is the way to use again pruned branches - they will 1/ prevent gras from growing into the border, 2/ make lawnmowing easier 3/ little life creatures will get good place to live - that makes garden more biodiversified, which means more similar to natural and easier to maintain.

Photobucket
Thare one thing that bothers me - I bought the plants as Diane Hornibroski. To my highest surprise, googling is not showing any results. Usually if there is a plant - wherever in the world, however rare it is - you can find a trace of it by googling. This time NOPE! no such plant on this planet. Any idea why? I really would like to solve this puzzle...

Photobucket


By arranging little new patch, I removed some irises to a better place as well - while doing it don't forget to plant it on the surface of the soil - rhizome should be laying on it facing south for better sun exposure, which it needs. Just its thin roots should be buried in the soil. It will give you much more healthy plants and abundance of flowers June next year.

23 comments:

Webradio said...

Nice photos with pretty flowers...

See You later !

Anonymous said...

I looked the name up in my RHS Plant Finder book. I think it might be Erica vagans 'Diane Hornibrook'. Someone obviously had a go translating it which is rather confusing!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your new slice of garden looks great with Diane holding court.
I hate the feeling of not having a place to plant something. You have the best idea though...enlarge a space.

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely plants, and you chose an ideal spot for them! Beauties!

Gail said...

What a lovely little shrub/plant. The flowers are very cute and a fine pink! Enlarging makes sense...who needs all the grass;-)

Gail

garden girl said...

What a pretty plant Ewa!

Maggie said...

What a darling plant, and what a wonderful spot! I love your pond. It looks so relaxing, like it is calling me to nap beside it. :) Thanks so much for sharing this.

Millie said...

Just a gorgeous relaxing space Ewa & the Gardener toiling in the background looks pretty good too!
Millie ^_^

Ewa said...

Easygardener,
Yes, thank you - you are right. I google plant you named and it looks very similar to that one I bought. Name is also in a way similar :)
what a lovely plant it is when it gets bigger :)
Thank you.

Visual Vamp said...

There's always room for one more!
xo xo
PS Hope you find Diane ha ha

Yoli said...

Ewa your garden is breathtaking.

Naturegirl said...

EWA your garden is still lush and green as ours have succumbed to Autumns spell and loss of blossoms and leaves! I plan to plant more around my pond next summer as you have done!

Victoria Cummings said...

A little less lawn is no big deal when you're planting flowers as pretty as those "Dianes". Your garden looks so good!

Viooltje said...

I have this feeling all the time, actually whenever I get back from the nursery, with a car so crammed with plants you can hardly tell who's driving, I always get accused of getting too many and raised eyebrows about where I'm going to plants it. Even though the back part of the estate has not even been touched by my notorious green thumb (yet), I always find a place for my little ones in places of creative chaos where there's already too many plants by everyone's opinion except mine. How could there ever be too many? How could there ever be no room for another enchanting plant? Loved your Lady Di Erica. Beautiful color.

Anonymous said...

The Erica is exquisite in close up!

They are a great plant for varieties of colour but you wouldn't want to be in hurry they are so slow growing!

Are there any Carp in the Pond? A Pond without Fish is like a Day without Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

Very cute plant.Very cute gardener. Very beautiful pond. I love that pond, Ewa.

Ewa said...

Robbbin,
Yes, there are fish in the pond. MANY. They shamelessly multiply without asking for permission ;)

CIELO said...

Came here to find out what lovelies you had for us today.... And certainly, I was right! It’s always such delight stopping here!

Have a great day out in your amazing garden, Ewa!

cielo

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hello Ewa, I love that pond and every thing around it it looks so great. I'm sorry I cannot help you with the Erica. / Tyra xoxo

THE GREENHOUSE IN TYRA'S GARDEN

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Your new Ericas look lovely. I do that too, dig into the lawn, it is by now only a handkerchief! The pond area looks very good, great garden Ewa.
I hope you find that elusive miss "whatshername"! Take care. T.

Lori Skoog said...

Ewa...what a beautiful site you have! I found it through Virginia's blog. Great photos and well written.
I will have to add your site to my links!
Lori Skoog

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Before the Bliss garden I used to have a very tiny garden, only 65 m2 but nevertheless I always found space to plant one more plant. It doesn't really matter how big or small your garden is, there is always room for at least one more plant. ;-)

BTW my lawn is shrinking at an alarming pace. ;-)

Barbara said...

For many years I tried to plant Ericas, but I wasn't very successful. I didn't have the ideal soil (acid) for them and when planted in pots...I forget to give them water ;-) !! But I still love to look at them and I am glad to find them now in your garden. Besides, you're right, there is always a little space left for a new plant. If not, we create a new free space....
Have a lovely week,
Barbara

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS