March 28, 2009

Growing Potatoes - In The Seek of Childhood Tastes


I got really curious how taste home and organic grown potatoes. I can not buy organic, healthy grown potatoes in the shop, so the only way to learn it, is to grow by myself.

I hope potatoes available in the shop are not treated too much, but this is only a hope. There is no real control over that process.

Grow potatoes yourself - completely new idea to me, appeared recently as a result of seeking real tastes od childhood. This is just fun - growing potatoes for one or two meals.

Anyone can do it - you can grow potatoes even on the balcony, in the bags with soil.
I have small garden, but definately will find space for 4 potatoes plants.

I picked 4 not too big, nicest looking potatoes and now will keep them in egg tray to let it sprout. Potatoes are more productive if they are sprouted before planting and the growing season is shortened.
Each potato has at least 1 eye on the top. Taking closer look proofs it. One side is more packed with 'eyes' than another - this is the top of potato.

I think they should be placed now in half-dark place. Some people advice cutting them by half, but second half says 'cutting doesn't make sense'. It sounds more convincing to me to pick small potatoes rather than cutting them.

2 comments:

Garden Wise Guy said...

Ewa, my dear. Long time since I stopped here to comment. You're doing such wonderful writing but I've been so immensely busy I barely have time to read anyone else's blogs. I had your direct e-mail address a while ago when we were writing about my past rock & roll existence.

I'd love to be able to write more to you off-line. If you don't still have it, you can find my personal e-mail through my bgdc website (billygoodnick.com). I'd love to update you on what's going on in my life. Big changes coming in about 3 months when I retire from my full time job.

Hoping all's well and spring is springing. BTW: The photo on this post is brilliant - love it!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree. Homegrown potatoes are delicious. I no longer grow them but the Farmers' Markets have an abundance. So yummy and so healthy. Good luck with yours.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS