January 31, 2010

Horse ranch trip

In the depths of winter I finally learned, there was in me an invincible summer – this is not my quote, but I could say it this winter. Despite Albert Camus said that – great French novelist, Noble Prize winner in 1957 – I feel he borrowed it from me.

This winter is the strongest winter in Poland in the last 30 years. It started early /in November/, brought lots of snow, temperatures below -22F/-30C and winds – this is something we are not used to.

Despite of that let me take you today for a short trip – only 40 km/60 miles away from Warsaw – to a horse ranch and fishery hidden in the depths of winter. This place is giving great authentic feeling, furnished with original vintage furniture, household and farming items. In every room there is authentic furniture remembering previous centuries, shared spaces are heated with old style stoves.

So, give me your hand and let’s go…


Cold outside, warmth and tasty food inside...



Basilicum still growing, pumpkins warming up the colors around...






scale...






..entrance to the guesthouse with bedrooms..

... stove at the 'lobby'...

Barn on the right side.

..old vehicles still up and running - this one is used in the summer...





...winter pleasure: rides in vintage sleigh...   



I hope you liked the trip :)

Piknik Klub 44, Krzyczki, just 40 kilometers away from Warsaw, see it on Google Maps here 

14 comments:

joey said...

Looks like a wonderful spot to enjoy winter, Ewa. Thank you for the lovely post and photos :)

Carole said...

Hope I liked the trip ???? Well, I could say I didn't like it, I LOVED it !!! This is just my kind of place, it has a history and a soul - too bad it's a horse farm, but just for me as I'm allergic to horses. But man, does it make me want to go back to Poland !

Anonymous said...

A beautiful trip indeed...
We have a 'real' winter too, here in Belgium, although it is not that cold... But we already several weeks of snow.

sweetbay said...

That looks like an altogether delightful place!

Tara Dillard said...

Woke up thinking about you this morning Ewa. Wondering what you've been doing, & you posted! Like the changes you've made to your blog.

Thanks for sharing the trip. Adore the heater in the lobby. Is it old? Do they make reproductions?

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

Chrissie said...

Thanks, the trip was very good indeed :-) What a wonderful place to visit. And vintage sleighs! Thank you! :-)

Tira said...

Thanks for the lovely trip-what a cute horse, and such lovely details and intricate sleds.

Noel Morata said...

wow, i love authentic places like that and yes i would love to go on a sleigh ride under the stars with a hot toddy, can we do it now???

Anonymous said...

Dear Ewa, I very much enjoyed your posting, together with the atmospheric pictures, not least because of the glimpses of Poland, a country I have yet to discover.

Although based in London I spend a great deal of time in Budapest where I have an apartment. From Budapest there are daily trains to Warsaw so, who knows....?

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

This place looks so beautiful - I must ask my Polish friends if they have ever been here. Its like being a time traveller and going back in time seeing all those vintage carts etc.

Kyna said...

Wonderful pictures of Poland in the wintertime!

My family is all from the Ukraine. I know that it's not Poland, but I'd love to come and visit both countries. My father has been, and he said it was great :D

Carol said...

I would love to ride in one of those sleighs! Hope you had a lovely time Ewa! Great post! Your photos make the place seem terrific! Carol

Kathryn/plantwhateverbringsyoujoy.com said...

This is MARVELOUS, Ewa! Thank you so very much for sharing your beautiful trip! Your attention to beauty and detail is exquisite. I'm glad you were my eyes on this journey. xoxo

Victoria Cummings said...

What a beautiful farm - thanks for letting us come along with you! The house is lovely, but being someone who owns horses, it's the barn that I really like. Very cute horse - are there more of them? What breed is it? The sleighs are great - how fun it would be to go for a sleigh ride.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS